Run an EMR Cluster on Spot Instances in 5 Steps
In this tutorial, you will learn how to clone your Elastic MapReduce (EMR) clusters into an Elastigroup. AWS EMR provides a managed Big Data framework that enables you to easily add/remove cluster capacity to meet your requirements. EMR supports Hadoop, Apache Spark and other popular distributed frameworks. Running your EMR clusters on Elastigroup provides you with the significant discounts that Spot instances offer while maintaining 100% availability.
This tutorial focuses on cloning an existing EMR into Elastigroup. Elastigroup also enables you to wrap your existing cluster with Spot instances Task nodes. Head to our tutorial on Wrapping EMR Clusters to learn more.
- A verified Spotinst Account.
- A running EMR cluster.
Step 1: Open the EMR Creation Wizard
Login to the Spotinst console and under Elastigroups navigate to the Creation Wizard by hitting the Create button:
Choose ‘EMR’ to launch the EMR creation wizard:
Step 2: Add Elastigroup Description
Set the name and region of the Elastigroup. Click Next.
Step 3: Configure Strategy and Compute
- Under Strategy select Clone and provide an “Origin Cluster” for Elastigroup to Clone.
- For the Master, Core and Task nodes select the Instance Types, Lifecycle (Spot/On-Demand), Target and Minimum/Maximum number of instances. To ensure Spot availability select multiple Instance Types.
- To ensure widespread deployment select as many Availability Zones (AZ) as possible and select Subnets within each AZ.
- (Optional) Assign tags to the Elastigroup.
(Optional) Advanced Settings:
- Set a Root Volume Size (GB)
- Include EMR Steps
Step 4: (Optional) Scaling Policies
Elastigroup offers a wide variety of scaling options for EMR, both for Core and Task nodes. Learn more about setting Elastigroup’s scaling policies for EMR here.
Step 5: Review and Create
The Creation Wizard prepares a json template to launch an Elastigroup with the EMR configuration. All that’s left to do is click Create!
You’ve now created an EMR on Elastigroup, congrats! You’re now in the Elastigroup Manager view, where you can review, manage and monitor your running Elastigroup.
- Create a Wrapped EMR Cluster on Elastigroup to run tasks nodes for your existing EMR cluster on Spot instances.
- Configure Elastigroup’s Scaling Policies for EMR Core and Task nodes.
- Check out our API Docs here to learn how to clone your EMR into an Elastigroup using RESTful APIs.
- AWS’s Elastic MapReduce (EMR) can occasionally get stuck with a Resizing status during changes in an instance group capacity. In these cases, the actual number of running instances won’t match the request number. Learn how Elastigroup’s EMR Auto-Recovery process handles these situations.